Friday, December 14, 2007

Loss and Gain

When I compare
What I have lost with what I have gained,
What I have missed with what attained,
Little room do I find for pride

I am aware
How many days have been idly spent?
How like an arrow the good intent
Has fallen short or been turned aside

But who shall dare
To measure loss and gain in this wise?
Defeat may be victory in disguise
The lowest ebb is the turn of the tide.

-Longfellow


I'm certainly not at 'my lowest ebb'
but I like the flow of these words.
Love poems that wrap around and contradict themselves

I found this while I was reflecting on what I have
it is certainly more than what I've lost.

and... in relfection some of the best times of my life were times when I was idle

must we be productive every moment?

1 comment:

africakidandtheworld said...

Angela, nice poem! Hope you have a merry Christmas. See you in January.