Saturday, November 3, 2007

Am I a great big stuff hog?

The first night I started writing the list I was up past 1am and had over 200 items listed. But when I read them over, I felt like the biggest mooch in the world – Grandpa’s this, Great-grandma’s that… handmade things from our great-grandparents, Terry’s grandmother, my mother’s ceramic Christmas village. Was I the family mooch? Am I a great big stuff hog? I remembered my Mom brining me a trailer crammed with things when she moved – she hauled it from Michigan to Georgia. “It was on the way,” she insisted. They were en route to Florida. Still I remember Mom’s phone calls every time she cleaned out, moved, or got rid of stuff. She would say, “I wish you lived closer. I know you would take this.”

I confronted my sister and asked her if I was the biggest family mooch of all. She told me, “No, you’re just the sentimental one. You’re the one who cares about that kind of stuff.”

Also, I’m the one whose home has never had a color scheme and who generally likes old, used, and well loved things. And… okay, I’ll admit it – I like a good deal!

Still, looking over the list I can’t help but regret that so much of the family stuff ended up with me and in that storage unit!

No comments: