Saturday, November 3, 2007

Memory: item #38 a matchbook signed by Vinx

Terry took me to see Vinx with a bunch of other performers –Stuart Copeland sponsored various rhythmic / percussionists and they had this awesome performance, but Vinx was the only vocalists. He blew me away. Well, let’s say he made me hot. Terry thought I was nuts when I tried to get him to take me out to the car (jk). But I did go to the bathroom and splash cold water on my face during intermission. I didn’t try to get the set list, or talk to anyone or anything. I just left there in a daze and happy to be with Terry. Vinx’s voice was intoxicating!

Fast forward one or two summers. I’m very pregnant with Alexandria. We went to Music Midtown a few days before she was born.

Vinx performed and it was just such a great venue. There was a small crowd gathered after his performance, but he wasn’t coming out to talk to us. I pushed my way forward – people move aside for pregnant women. And began pounding the stage. He walked right over to me and I told him how much I loved that first performance and that I had to splash water on my face to cool off. He looked at me like I wasn’t making sense. Then this guy next to me translated my words into rock-ese --- he said something like ‘you were freaking awesome. Freaking awesome man.” And Vinx then seemed to understand and said, “Do you want me to sign something or something?”

Well ‘or something’ was out of the question, so a signature would have to do. But I had no pen, no paper. A guy standing behind me gave me his matchbook a girl dug through her purse for a pen. And Vinx signed the matchbook for me!!!

BTW if you don’t know this artist here’s his homepage: http://www.vinx.com/

No comments: