Friday, November 2, 2007

Memory - #15 Harley Davidson Outfit 3T


There were six children in my family and the year Andy gave Alexandria the Harley Davidson outfit we drew names. I don’t remember if we only exchanged gifts for the kids that year. But I do remember her opening the outfit. It was the perfect gift because it suited her – at 3 she was a mix of 100% girly girl and 100% tomboy. So a denim overall skirt with leather straps perfectly fit her style and it fit Andy’s style, too. He loved riding his bike.

The next Christmas he was ill and we all wanted to believe he would recover. He didn’t. For a couple of years after his death we didn’t exchange gifts at all. I don’t know why I don’t talk about my brother more. I guess because, even though the years have passed, it isn’t easy.

In my work I’m constantly meeting new people. If anyone asks about siblings, I usually tell them I have four sisters. Some people go on and ask, “Any brothers?” I feel guilty if I answer no and yet it is a bit psycho if I just say ‘yes’ as though he were still alive. My sisters and nieces do walkathons for cancer. I feel like I should do something – something.

I heard a speaker say at the age of 9, she learned of her uncle who had died before she was born and she felt as though she had been lied to because she didn’t know of him sooner. I don’t want to be that way with my kids. I want them to know about Andy. My Mom, aunts and Grandma made memory bears after he died (pictured above.) Andy’s memory bear is appropriately made of denim and wearing leather. I’m thankful that I still have it.

5 comments:

africakidandtheworld said...

What a great gift! I liked hearing about your brother, Angela.

List of Things Lost said...

Thanks Laurie,
It was Ann Martin at Rutgers who spoke about her uncle and I realized "I do the same thing!!!"

africakidandtheworld said...

I read Ann Martin's book that was loosely based on her uncle's life--wasn't he autistic? An amazing book.

Anonymous said...

Angela, I just saw your blog. It is heartbreaking.I have only read a few entries so far. I am amazed at how much you lost -- but also amazed at the richness of those treasures and your memories of them (and I'm only on number 20 or so). Your list is a treasure in itself.
I love your brother's bear. What a wonderful way to remember him.
Sue

List of Things Lost said...

Sue,
Thank you for your kind words.

Yes I'm lucky to still have the bear. And I appreciate you and David listening to me talk about Andy...I've since started talking about him more.